Rainy days and Sundays always get me down when I can not garden!

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Next Chapter

It was a brutally hot day in July when we moved into our new house on the hill.  We had hired movers for the larger items, and rented a u-haul for the rest of it.   By the time we finished, it was late in the day.  We were exhausted, starving, and in need of showers.   
Three months earlier, if you had asked me if we were moving, I would have called you crazy.  We had lived in our previous house for just about seven years.  It was on a circle with the biggest back yard, which was appealing to me.  My brother and sister in-law lived two doors down, which was great for our dogs.  It was a nice house in a nice neighborhood.  But the house was a twin and we where starting to out grow it.  So one Sunday, on  a whim, we went to a open house in a neighborhood called "the manor." 
The inside of the house was nice, but I was eager to check out the yard. As we walked out the back door, I was disappointed by what I saw.  There was only about 40 feet of yard in the back, enclosed by a chain link fence.  Beyond the chain link fence was a overgrown hedgerow of sorts.Where would I put my garden?  This won't do, I thought to myself.  As we were getting ready to leave, the Realtor asked us what we thought?  The house is nice, I said, but the yard is just to small.  Oh hunny, she replied, the yard extends 150 feet past the fence, down to the creek.  You just can not see it.  I looked at my husband and said. I want this house.  I want it too, he answered back.


No comments:

Post a Comment