Rainy days and Sundays always get me down when I can not garden!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

LET THE SEED STARTING BEGIN....

The average last frost date in my area falls between April 7 to April 23, with a 50% probability of frost free days after April 6.  Our winter has been cold with lots of snow, so I am using the later date for my LSF (last spring frost) to determine my seed starting schedule.

The soil in raised beds warm up faster then traditional gardens. By adding a hoop house, which is warmed by the sun, I can get a jump start on spring, extending the growing season by 4-6 weeks.












I don't like to rely on just one method for seed starting, just in case something goes wrong.  Instead, I do a combination INDOOR SEED STARTING, WINTER SOWING, and DIRECT SOWING.  

Outside, I have started "WINTER SOWING" of Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Lettuce, Spinach, and Onions, and Brussels Sprouts.







Inside, Onions, Broccoli, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Spinach, Peppers, Radishes















Starting in Mid-March, I will DIRECT SOW most of the above under the HOOP HOUSES and COLD FRAMES, along with PEAS, LEAFY GREENS, and ROOT VEGETABLES.







No comments:

Post a Comment