Rainy days and Sundays always get me down when I can not garden!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

SNOW and GETTING A JUMP START on SPRING!


Last year a neighbor was throwing out these storm door inserts.  I figured I could use them to make cold frames on my raised beds. The only problem is that my beds are 4' x 4's, and these pieces are smaller.   
Along the side of the house, I have a 3' x 12' growing area that is not raised.  
Since my goal is to get a jump start on my spring gardening (hopefully by a month), I decided to place the panes of glass up against the side of the house.  This should help to keep the snow and ice off this area, protect it from the wind, and heat the soil up faster.  Once the soil reaches about 50 degrees, I can direct sow a number of early spring veggies.  




No comments:

Post a Comment